discussions and gluttonous observations...

3.23.2006

New Music: UNDERWORLD Evolution

Various Artists UNDERWORLD Evolution February 2006 purchase The quality of a given soundtrack can be difficult to judge as most are intensely bipolar, often times swinging from one genre to another and/or from the good to the bad with each new track. You have to base your opinion not only on the how the album reflects the movie it represents, but also the quality of each track/artists on the album. It is also possible for the album to rock, but be a failure because it misrepresents the movie. Conversely the album can properly reflect the tone of the movie, but suck from beginning to end. Seeing that I haven't seen the movie yet my opinion is based more on what I think the movie's tone is from the first UNDERWORLD. This does however also me to focus more on the music itself, separate from the film. Generally speaking the album is good, but not great. In listening to it I see that there is major shift in the type of songs found early in the album and those found in the middle and end. This shift in my view is primarily stylistic. Almost all of the tracks have a Goth rock feel, but the many of the early tracks add an 80's electronic/pop/industrial sound to it. Later on the album a death metal sound takes over and the tracks appear more simplified and raw. I know this comparison is rather generalized, but I feel it is fair nonetheless. For the record, I prefer the earlier parts of the album to the end. Before I give a final ranking for the album I am going first to make a few comments about a number of individual tracks. TRACK 1_PUSCIFER_THE UNDERTAKER (RENHOLDER MIX) This is by far the best song on the album and I am not surprised as the band (Maynard) is the reason I became interested in the album to begin with. One can't be surprised of the quality of this song as it is drawing significant inspiration from Tool and A Perfect Circle influences. The strong vocals are a perfect fit for the music. I love the way the grungy electronic party beat is balanced with muted screaming vocals and samples. The piano chords that begin the song are a cool effect as well. This is the perfect song for Kate Beckinsale, dressed in all black leather and lace, to perform a Goth laden strip show for all of us who care to see. And that is the genius of the song; it is sexy, dark and very atmospheric. It fits the ambiance of the film (or what I think the film is like) better than anything else on the album. TRACK 2_CHESTER BENNINGTON VS JULIEN K_MORNING AFTER I dig this track. It has a late 80's industrial flair. I really like the dissipation of the final chord into nothingness. TRACK 3_HAWTHORNE HEIGHTS_WHEN DO I STAB MYSELF IN THE EARS (THE LEGION OF DOOM REMIX) Hawthorne Heights, Lincoln Park... why do all these bands name themselves after what sounds like a neighborhood/sub-division in the Baltimore or DC area? I appreciate the music, but I think the vocals are somewhat generic, not bad, but just too much of the same ol' same ol'. This track has a distinctive feel of having been composed in the early aughts. It is ok to occasionally hear, but it doesn't have enough redeemable qualities to merit heavy play. TRACK 4_MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE_TO THE END (RNR CHERYL MIX) Let it be known that I want to dislike this track, but I can't seem to make myself. My Chemical Romance is a blend of dark grungy pop rock with punk like vocals. The more I hear it the more I like it. The vocals are growing on me. TRACK 5_SLIPKNOT_VERMILLION PT 2 (BLOODSTONE MIX) This is Slipknot? I really enjoy this track. This song is a great change of pace for the album. It sounds like something that could show up on the Tweaker album. The vocals have an 80's dissonance and pout to them (could be drug induced?). The song starts slow and quiet and builds up to a really cool movement. The lyrics "I won't let this build up inside of me" keep repeating underneath the childlike and innocent rhythm of a xylophone (I think) and what sound like the gears of a clock. But it does "build up inside" until the track explodes in a mix of muted heavy guitar riffs and various vocal layers. Cool Effect. This is probably my second favorite track on the album. TRACK 6_ALKALINE TRIO_BURN (ALLEGED REMIX) Again, a track with 80's flavored vocals and electronic music. Good track. TRACK 7_AIDEN_THE LAST SUNRISE (DUSK MIX) One of the more dark tracks on the album. The song starts with a heavy guitar riff and some electronic overtones. The vocals wear on me, but I really like the music. Another good track, but it also foreshadows the shift in the album with the singer screaming "The last sunrise" towards the end of the track. TRACK 8_SENSES FAIL_BITE TO BREAK SKIN (THE LEGION OF DOOM REMIX) Cool musically, but the vocals lack maturity. TRACK 9_ATREYU_HER PORTRAIT IN BLACK The album shifts to Goth/death metal. Kill me. I really can't take vocals like this. The only reason I make it through Pantera, Metallica or Meshuggah is the musicians are that good. There are some ok moments, but all in all these tracks is not that great. TRACK 10_TRIVIUM_WASHING AWAY ME IN THE TIDES This song is so different from the early part of the album and I can't see how it even makes sense for the film. The vocals are not worth the shit that came out of my ass this morning. TRACK 11_MENDOZZA_ETERNAL BATTLE More of the same. Again, I appreciate the guitar work, but... TRACK 12_LACUNA COIL_OUR TRUTH The female vocals help this track. Something the previous three didn't have going for it. It also helps that I have seen her and yes my friends she is hot. Hot women in rock bands are DAMN SEXY, I repeat, THEY ARE DAMN SEXY! TRACK 13_GOSLING_CAT PEOPLE (PUT OUT THE FIRE) Yeah we get past the fork in the eye death metal! Interesting change here. Solid track. Good rock song and the vocals are punky but folksy. TRACK 14_BOBBY GOLD_WHY ARE YOU UP This track has a little of a Marilyn Manson aesthetic to it. "Suck your brain"? I like it. TRACK 15_MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO_SUICIDE Ahhh, some Meat Beat. Unlike some of the earlier tracks, the vocals here seem at home with the music. He is comfortable with this genre of song and you can tell. This would be a great way to end the album, but alas... TRACK 16_CRADLE OF FILTH_HW2 Quick, smash the end of that vodka bottle, I need something to dig the memory of this track out of my brain and jagged glass sounds as good as anything else. Ok, so that is the album. Overall it is really hit and miss, with more hits than misses. There are a few tracks I would place in heavy IPOD rotation - The Undertaker, Vermillion Pt. 2, Why Are You Up and Suicide - but the vast majority will probably only get a few good listens each year, if that. I don't want to sound negative about the album because it is not bad, but again, like a lot of soundtracks it doesn't hold up from track to track. It should also be noted that the album is full of remixes. Lots of remixes. Since I don’t know the originals very well, I kind of ignored this fact and took the tracks at face value. Overall I give this album 6.5 out of 10

1 Comments:

Blogger rhinosaur said...

Spot on with the best track at number one. Lacuna is awesome as well. And you know, I have only heard Meat Beat on soundtracks - and I have always liked it. Hmmm. Potential future music club album?

Overall not a bad soundtrack from an instrument perspective, but but pretty weak vocally. It really drags in the middle with those death metal tracks.

2:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home